Browsing - NT/Windows 2000

Glenn Stewart glenn at cances.atp.COM.AU
Mon Apr 10 03:33:29 GMT 2000

Hi All,

I am currently experiencing an unusual symptom some of you might be able to help me with.

Currently I have two Windows based servers.
The first is a Windows 2000 server upgrade of the original NT PDC.
The second is the original NT BDC.

The two servers running Samba 2.0.6 are both HP-UX 10.20.

Historically, the BDC was always used for authentication Samba-wise as the password server, but this has been changed to
smb.conf:password server = CFD2KS50 (The Windows 2000 server).

I will soon upgrade the BDC to Windows 2000.
I am not sure it this is such a good idea given the current symptoms outlined below.

When NT BDC is disconnected from the network, the Network Neighbourhood browsing is extremely slow to browse otherwise, impossible to browse.
Accessing samba shares on either HP-UX box is extremely slow too.

If the Network Neighbourhood is refreshed while the BDC is on the network, then disconnected, accessing shares is not longer a problem.

Windows 2000 server is used as the WINS server.

Thanks in Advance
Glenn