network connection crashes

Carsten Nordstrøm Jensen north at get2net.dk
Fri Apr 7 08:39:15 GMT 2000

> | A network with a RedHat 6.0 linux server and samba 2.0.6 and
> | Windows 95 clients:
> | When I for example copy large (binary?) files from
> | local drives to one of my Samba shares I VERY often
> | experience that the network connection to the
> | Win95 machine crashes.
>
>         first, measure the transfer speed of an "average"
>         file by copying it with smbclient a few times.
>
>         Then set raw read = no and raw write = no and
>         see how much it slows down (amd mail me the results,
>         please for my archive)
>
>         If it's not too much, leave these settings in place
>         and see if this affects the crashing behavior.
>
>         A colleague was reporting a less severe problem
>         which **seemed** to respond to this, but I'm
>         not at home and can't reproduce it anyway...

That doesn't change the crashing behaviour. Till now
the only thing that DOES change the crashing behaviour
is to set the debug level to 5 or above -- obviously not
a proper solution.

Let me note that until last summer the clients were
sitting on a Novell network and did NOT experience
such behaviour -- which of course makes me believe
it is a SAMBA problem....

- Carsten