Authentication Failure Redux

Henri J. Schlereth henris at neandertal.org
Fri Apr 7 03:35:23 GMT 2000

While I long since have really given up getting a response on my
particular non show stopping error message I will proved another
tidbit to amuse.
Original problem: PAM refuses to authenticate and logs a message
to syslog, hands of to samba and the valid user gets thru to
his share. Again usernames/passwords are 99% identical on
Linux/W95 boxes except for on for testing purposes.
I am not using smbpasswd,usermaps. It is a simple workgroup no
domain or printing, no WINS

Here is the output from log.smb

[2000/04/06 22:26:57, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(909)
  Rejecting user 'henris': authentication failed

This is seen in samba 2.0.6/2.0.7Pre2/TNG-alpha-011 if I compile
with -lpam. It has shown up with RPM's from samba and RH.