Samba on Linux with no ACL's is making things tough

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Apr 5 17:46:48 GMT 2000

Paul Rogers wrote:

> [...]

Well we can only implement ACLs for Samba on systems that
have them in the underlying filesystem.

If Linux *doesn't*, then it isn't the fault of Samba !

You could of course still use Samba on UNIXs that *do*
have ACLs, such as IRIX, Solaris, HPUX, AIX etc.

Or you could integrate the ACL patch that has not yet
been integrated into the mainline kernel - found as
mentioned above at : http://acl.bestbits.at/.

We cannot single-handedly fix the ACL problem in the
Linux kernel, it takes enough time maintaining an SMB
server as it is :-). I'm CC:ing Ted Tso on this reply,
in the hope he can give us an "official" response as to
the status of ACL support in the Linux kernel.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.