strange problem

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Apr 5 15:47:22 GMT 2000

Gunnar Lindholm <gunnar.lindholm.320 at student.lu.se> writes on 5 April 2000 at 15:21:08 +1000
 > Hello.
 > I have a problem that I hope you can help me with.
 > I have 95,98 and NT machines and a Linux box with samba 2.2.5 (or what ever is
 > shipped with redhat) that shares a printer to the windows machines.
 > The problem is now:
 > -the NT machines finds the printer!
 > -the 98 machine finds something, but rejects all passwords (it runs encryot.
 > passwd)
 > -the 95 does not find anything at all. (runs encrypt passwd)
 >
 > all machines can ping/telnet the linux box.
 >
 > What should I do?

Dunno -- but I consistently have problems like this as well.  I've
been playing with it for a few months now, and not getting anywhere.
In my case, I have two different Linux boxes running Samba (2.0.5a and
2.0.6).  From an NT Workstation box, I can browse and access both
guest shares, and shares protected by username.  From a Windows 98
box, I can now browse (since I forced one of the Samba boxes to be the
browse master), but I can't access the shares protected by user (it
reads the shares with guest access fine).  It pops up a password box,
and whatever password I give it is wrong.  All of these are on the
same LAN, they can all ping back and forth okay.  There's no NT Server
box around; no domains, no PDC, etc.  I'm using user security and
encrypted passwords.

Obviously this isn't a complete info dump; any suggestions on what doc
files I should read more carefully, what log info I should look for,
or what I should try, anyone?
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b