Printing to a Jet Direct card

Roberto Mello robertom at ssit.usu.edu
Mon Apr 3 22:42:44 GMT 2000

  I had a great headache to get this going here, untill I read an article
on Linux Gazette that explained about Jeet Direct cards.
  We have 15 Jet direct card with their own IP addresses. You setup samba
normally but the secret is in the /etc/printcap file. You have to tell the
GNU/Linux LPD to send the job to a remote queue (the Jet Direct box, which
has a LPD built-in) and send to the right queue in the Jet Direct
(rp=raw).
  Here's an example of an entry in my /etc/printcap file:

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default {}
lp1|Leslie:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp1:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=myprinter.mydomain.com:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp1/filter:

	I have documented everything that I did on
http://ssit.usu.edu/~robertom/samba.html
	The only thing that is not there are the cronjob entries that I
added to clean the spool directory every night (for some reason the
Windows boxes do not delete them after finishing). All my users print as
guest (ftp) so my crontab entry looks like this:

00 2 * * * find /var/spool/samba -user ftp -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -r
rm -f
15 2 * * * find /var/spool/lpd -user ftp -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -r rm
-f

	Hope this helps,

	Roberto Mello