UNIX local accounts not being authenticated

Joe Novielli noviell at spherenet.com
Mon Apr 3 03:22:54 GMT 2000

 Greetings,

 I am running Samba 2.0.6 onn my Solaris 7 box.

 It's running well, except; I can't seem to get local UNIX accounts to
work.

 All my users in my NIS database get authenticated without a problem,
but since I want to give access to some shares without creating an NIS,
thereby creating a local machine account, it prompts for a password and
is denied.

Access is given, to Windows clients, automatically as we use the same
user name in both our NIS and NT domain accounts. This local account's
user name also has the same user name as the NT domain account I'm
trying to give access to.

 Any suggestions why? Here are some specs (I would like the local
account "local" to have access to  SHARE_ME)

 PS :I even tried "valid user= " To allow all users access, but it still
didn't work for the local account.
PSS: I don't having any smbpasswd accounts (I actually never used it,
except to join the domain originally)

 [global]
   browse list = no
   case sensitive = no
   config file = /etc/smb.conf
   create mask = 775
   dead time = 10080
   debug level = 3
   default case = lower
   dns proxy = no
   domain logons = no
   domain master = no
   encrypt passwords = true
   getwd cache = Yes
   guest account = guest
   hide dot files = no
   interfaces = 192.168.135.26/255.255.255.0
   invalid users = root daemon sys bin uucp news ingres audit sync
sysdiag sundiag
   load printers = yes
   local master = no
   lock directory = /var/log/samba/locks
   locking = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m.%M.%I
   lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j
   mangle case = no
   mangled names = yes
   mangled stack = 200
   mangling char = ~
   map archive = no
   map hidden = no
   map system = no
   max log size = 1000
   max xmit = 65535
   password level = 8
   password server = PDC BDC1
   preferred master = no
   preserve case = no
   print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
   printer name  = lp
   printcap name = /etc/local/samba/printcap
   printing = bsd
   read prediction = True
   read raw = yes
   read size = 8192
   remote announce = 192.168.135.255/WAN_DOMAIN
   security = domain
   workgroup= WAN_DOMAIN
   allow trusted domains = Yes
   server string = %h Samba server %v
   share modes = no
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   status = yes
   strict locking = no
   wide links = yes
   wins support = no
   wins server = wins_server
   write raw = no

 [SHARE_ME]
   comment = SHARE_ME Directory
   default case = lower
   preserve case = yes
   dont descend = ./exec,./share,./swap,./root,./homes
   path    = /export/SHARE_ME
   public  = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = local
   force create mode = 660
   force directory mode = 750
   force group = NIS_grp
   force user = NIS_user

As you can see, whenever they add in a file, I want the permissions to
be give as an NIS user name and group.

 Any suggestions on how I can make this work without creating NIS
account (and preferably without users needing the enter a separate
password) would be much appreciated.

Thanks