smbfs and i/o errors

Arno van Wouwe arnow at support.euronet.nl
Sun Apr 2 17:57:13 GMT 2000

Hi guys,

I hope I've reached the correct mailinglist. I'm experiencing a problem
with smbfs. You can mount shares, but after a while, the connection is
broken and all sorts of strange stuff happens. I've got a share called
/mnt/ntshare which remotely mounts an NT host:

[arnow at foo /mnt]$ ls
ls: ntshare: Input/output error
cdrom/  floppy/
[arnow at foo /mnt]$
[arnow at foo /mnt]$ dmesg | tail

smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
smb_retry: new pid=360, generation=2
smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
smb_retry: new pid=360, generation=3
smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
smb_retry: new pid=360, generation=4
smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3

Some stats on the Linux host:

Linux foo.euronet.nl 2.2.15-2.5.0 #1 Sat Feb 5 00:28:02 EST 2000 i686 unknown
(it's a standard RedHat install)

Some stats on the NT host:

NT 4.0 (build 1381) Service Pack6

And the smbmount manual page is for smbfs 2.0.6, 11th of November 1999,
which is the latest version as far as I have been able to find on
www.samba.org.

I've been reading the comp.protocols.smb newsgroup, and found someone that
asked the same question, but he received no reply.

I find it hard to believe that the package is so broken that it just
plainly doesn't work on a vanilla install. Is there something I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks in advance for taking the time,

  Arno
--