Compiling samba 2.05a on solaris-2.6-sparc with gcc 2.95.1

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Thu Sep 30 08:29:30 GMT 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Matthias Brucke wrote:

> When I start the configure script as a normal user in my home directory
> it tells me:

> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.

Check config.log, it will contain the command that failed, and the
sources used to test if the compiler compiles.

> When I do that as root, everything works ok.

samba likes to be configured as root ... at least that is how I interpret:
"configure: warning: running as non-root will disable some tests"

> Is this a problem with the compiler installation or with the
> samba-configure-script??

Can you compile a "Hello World" program as a normal user? It really,
really looks like a compiler problem.

/Urban