SAMBA digest 2250 - Parameter is incorrect

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Thu Sep 30 06:22:38 GMT 1999

Axel Neumann wrote:

> Matthew Vanecek wrote:
>
> >I set up a new printer on my Linux box, an Epson Stylus Color 740.  I
> >had previously been using an EPson Stylus Color IIs.  I got the printer
> >working nicely in Linux, but I can not print to the printers I set up in
> >/etc/printcap via samba from NT anymore.  I.e., it worked with the IIs,
> >but not with the 740.  I didn't change anything in smb.conf.
>
> >NT lets me install the printers via samba, but not print to them.  It
> >always returns a message that "The parameter is incorrect".  Is there
> >any way to find out what parameter it's barfing on, and how to fix it?
>
> >I checked the system and samba logs, and there's nothing there about
> >this.
>
> >I have samba 2.0.5, NT WS 4.0, SP5, and the Epson printer
> >drivers/software.  I'm kinda wondering if the Epson software is getting
> >in the way, but it won't let me install the drivers without installing
> >the software.  However, if I could massage the parameters samba receives
> >a little, I might be able to get it to work...if I knew how to capture
> >the parameters.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have made similar experiences. But I am not sure if I have the reason,
> the solution or just stupid information for you.
>
> It is not a problem with your particular driver. I receive this message
> when printing to our HP LJ5Si after I have restarted Samba without
> restarting my NT-box, that was already connected to the Samba server.
>
> My NT setup is in such a way that the NT box is mounting a Samba share via
> the user profile. As far as I remember right it is not enough to fix the
> problem just to re-login into NT you have to reboot.
>
> It seems to me that the problem is caused by a synchronization problem
> between the restartet Samba server an the running NT.

I don't know, but after several reboots of NT, the problem persists.
Any ideas on capturing the parameters coming across the wire, and
finding out which parameters samba is interpreting them as?  I've looked
at tcpdump output, but have absolutely no idea how to interpret it.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis