dynamic dns updates from WINS

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Wed Sep 29 07:16:42 GMT 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:28:34 +1000, hai scritto:

>I've just added the ability for nmbd to call an external program when
>changes happen to the WINS database in a Samba WINS server. See the
>option "wins hook" in Samba 2.0.6 when it is released. An example
>script that calls the nsupdate dynamic DNS update program is provided.

Some time ago I tried to do something (shell script ...) to update dns
with wins.dat database, but I gave up because I couldn't find a way to
correctly idetify hostnames in wins.dat: I looked for 20 and 03 but in
my wins.dat I have entry for 20 (server) which are not hostnames, they
are login names (the login names are aco and go, don't know what c-9999
means):
"C-9999ACO#20" 939102328
"C-9999GO#20" 939106792
and 03 names that are login names too.
00 is used for the workgroup name too.

I see in the example update script in 2.0.6 that 00 03 20 are considered
good names, so even using wins-hook, with the example update script or a
personalized one, I would get dns entries for login names?.

Is there a way to identify real hostname?

Thanks.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it