Samba write performance

Andre Grueneberg andre at grueneberg.de
Mon Sep 27 22:27:57 GMT 1999

Hi,

I lately encountered a very weird performance problem, that IMO samba is the
origin for...

The problem occured on two (nearly completely different machines):
1: Linux 2.0.35, libc5, samba 2.0.0/2.0.5a
2: Linux 2.2.5, glibc2.0, samba 2.0.3/2.0.5a

both connected (like all three clients I tested from) to a 10/100MBit switch
that shows 100MBit connections.

when writing a bigger file(chunk) (on machine 1 28K-5 Bytes seem to be the
barrier, machine 2 shows a much more strange behaviour concerning that
barrier) to a samba share, the write performance drops from 2MB/s (4 MB/s
on machine 2) down to about 120 KB/s (on both machines)...

I have already changed some parameters in smb.conf, but without great
changes...

I tested this from 2 machines running Win95 and 1 machine running OS/2 Warp 4

Is there someone out there, who has got a tip to solve this problem?

CU Andre         E-Mail: andre at grueneberg.de