Samba and Visual C++

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Wed Sep 22 14:40:21 GMT 1999

Grupp Andreas wrote:

> I've just tried to install MS Visual C++ 6.0 on our Samba 2.0.5a
> Linux Server. When I was asked for the installation directory I tried
> to use a samba-share that was mounted on a network drive letter. Just
> after this the setup programm refused the path as incorrect. Now the
> question: Is it impossible to install the VC6 package server based?
> I don't wan't to install this big package on each workstation! Any
> help is welcome!

Installing any Visual Studio component on a network server is a complete
and total pain in the ass.  Microsoft should be shot for the travesty of
Visual Studio, et al.  Esp. v6.0.  We have it on a Novell server at
work, but for it to work properly, a large portion of it must also be
installed locally, on each machine.  It can be done, but it is a severe
pain, regardless of the file server you use.  You'll still have to push
out a bunch of registry settings and dlls and associated files to each
worstation.  My advice: get Borland.  MS VC++ 6.0 is a piece of crap,
and it's likely to cause you endless headaches after screwing up your
network.  Whatever they claim, MS does *not* design their applications
to be run on a network.  Plus, MS VC++ 6.0 is really, really, really
bad.  The MFCs are all screwed up; they've made it much harder to do
normal projects, like with makefiles.  Some of the simplest tasks are
buried in the bowels of the MFCs, and you won't be able to change them.
Consider writing an SQL statement for a RecordSet class.  I once tried
to trace a simple SELECT statement through the maze of MFCs and got
thoroughly lost.  And I had all the sources installed in addition to the
normal install.

But I ramble--the point is, it's most likely not a samba problem, but a
VC++ 6.0 problem.  Visual Studio components just don't like the network.
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis