Samba can't keep NT shares mounted

Steve Rhodes srhodes at cpinternet.com
Wed Sep 22 13:17:08 GMT 1999

I read through a bunch of posts on the subject, and I have seen a number of
theories that the problem might be caused by a period of inactivity, rather
than heavy network load as I earlier speculated.  I thought an easy test
would be to mount the NT box, then physically disconnect the smbmount
client for a period of time, and see if the connection breaks.  Well, I
left it off the network all night, and when I re-connected and checked it
this morning, it was still running!

I also ran a quick test by running a ping flood over the network.  The
collision light on the hub was blinking madly, and I still could not induce
failure!

I am starting to think that it may have something to do with the
configuration of the NT box.  I am running this one as a Primary Domain
Controller.  I recall from my earlier experience that the machine in the
troubled network was a Stand Alone configuration.  (Un)fortunately, that
machine has been re-configured as a Linux box (DHCP problems).

Still trying,

Steve Rhodes