dates screwed up, help!

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Wed Sep 22 12:26:56 GMT 1999

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Massimo Pinto wrote:

> Hi, the problem I am reporting relates to RH Linux 6.0
> I have successfully mounted a disk from a windows NT server machine,
> using smbmount as follows:

smbfs is misconfigured in the standard RH6.0 kernel.

>  [massimo, Random Breakage (545)]$ ls -l prova*
>  -rwxr-xr-x   1 massimo  root        18456 Mar 15  2031 prova
>  -rwxr-xr-x   1 massimo  root          946 Jun  9  2035 prova.cpp
>  -rwxr-xr-x   1 massimo  root          945 Aug 15  1909 prova.cpp~
>  -rwxr-xr-x   1 massimo  root         2544 Sep 22  1912 prova.o
[snip]
> What is the step to take to fix the problem?

Your kernel was compiled with the win95 date bug workaround. That
workaround messes up dates when looking at NT shares. Recompile your
kernel without the workaround enabled or upgrade to a later 2.2.x where
the the workaround is enabled dynamically per share, as needed.

I don't know if upgraded RH kernel-rpm's have this fixed or not.

/Urban