W95 works, W98 doesn't - and it's not encryption!

Paul Sherwin psherwin at telinco.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 16:34:31 GMT 1999

I support a small net with a Linux Samba server and about 5 W95 systems.
This isn't connected to the outside world and the users can be trusted, so
I avoided all the encrypted password hassles by making the shares public.
This worked fine until I added the first W98 system...

The networking is fine on the W98 box - TCP/IP works and all shares can be
browsed. However, if a user tries to access a share, s/he gets a permission
denied error when using the W98 box, and has no problems from the W95
boxes. This is completely repeatable.

A typical share is something like

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

I thought I knew my way around Samba fairly well, but this has me stumped.
It _must_ be a common problem??! So what's changed in W98? Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.telinco.co.uk/psherwin/index.htm
Mobile +44 (0)7931 578334   mailto:psherwin at telinco.co.uk
Pager  +44 (0)7666 797228