No samba server in 'network neighborhood'

Benjamin Stocker bstocker at pingnet.ch
Fri Sep 17 06:44:55 GMT 1999

Hy,

i have a problem using samba 2.0.13 on Linux (kernel 2.2). I've beeen
reading almost all of the samba documents, FAQ's and HOWTOS, even
searching at deja.com and the mailing list archives. However, i could
not find a solution but many other users having the same problem.

My samba installation works well, i'm using Windows NT4/SP5 and Win98
clients with no primary domain controller.
When opening the network neighborhood in Windows, i can see all Windows
systems in the network, but not the Linux server itself, to browse it's
shares, i have to run 'explore \\linuxserver' or using the net utility.
I tried many combinations in smb.conf without success, the samba server
is not visible in any Windows machines. You will find the smb.conf
attached to this mail.

On the same network there another two samba 2.0.13 servers based on
SunOS 5. This servers are visible at the clients.

Any tips to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated!

Benjamin

---smb.conf---
# Global parameters
        workgroup=WORKGROUP
        security=SHARE
        netbios name = prepress
        interfaces = 192.168.1.245/255.255.255.0
        keepalive = 30
        deadtime = 30
        guest account = nobody
        # wins support = Yes