page of graphics won't completely print

James A. Mutter jmutter at netwalk.com
Thu Sep 16 04:16:17 GMT 1999

I suspect that your problem is with the printer, and not Samba.  I am
experiencing a similar situation:

*  HP Deskjet 820 connected to a Kingston Print server
*  Windows clients printing large jobs experience the same problem.

I believe that Windows (or in your case, Samba) just dumbs the entire
job to the printer, expecting that all will work well.  However, this
printer was never meant to be used in a network situation.  In a
normal situation (local printer via parallel port & Windows) there
would have been communication between the printer and the PC, the
printer saying "hold off, I'm full" and the PC replying "OK, tell me
when to send the rest".  This communication doesn't exist in the
networked environment.  The best the PC can do, in this situation, is
prepare the job, send it to the Samba server and hope that it works.

Solution, by a better, network aware printer.

Of course, this is just a guess, if anyone else has had similar
situations and has a solution I would love to hear it.

--
Jim