Sniffer for Linux (was: oplock_break problem (PR#20285))

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Wed Sep 15 20:49:58 GMT 1999

In a message dated: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:03:40 +1000
"John J. LeMay Jr." said:

>On a similar note, can anyone recommend a GOOD sniffer app that supports
>common decodes? I'd like to see something NetXRay-like, but I'm sure that
>is a ways off.

Check out ethereal.  It's an X11 based app similar to NetXray, though without
all the eye-candy.  It uses tcpdump and libpcap.

	http://ethereal.zing.org

It's pretty good, though if you're not familiar with tcpdump, you'd better
familiarize yourself with it, since ethereal uses tcpdump syntax for it's
filter expression syntax.
--

Seeya,
Paul