samba producing errors sometime after install

Kim Aldis kim at aldis.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 17:30:14 GMT 1999

We've been experiencing some problems with Samba that I can't trace. We
installed a new Linux file server, running Samba to connect to the NT
workstations dotted around the place. All ran well for 10 days, maybe 2
weeks until we started finding that the NT machines would suddenly be unable
to connect to the fileserver. I restart the samba server and it all works
fine for maybe a day and suddenly we get the same problem again. This went
on for a week or so until I finally got fed up and re-installed Samba.
Bingo, evrythings fine until just now, 10 days, maybe 2 weeks after the
re-install I start to get the same problem again. I've checked the remote
machine logs and I see this for each machine that has attempted to connect:-

[1999/09/08 17:28:05, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(41)
  INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 18385 (2.0.3)
  Please read the file BUGS.txt in the distribution
[1999/09/08 17:28:05, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(43)
[1999/09/08 17:28:05, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(2383)
  PANIC: internal error

Nothing immediately obvious in the other logs.

= Kim Aldis (Kim at Aldis.co.uk)
= Creative Director
= The Aldis Animation Co. Ltd
= http://www.aldis.co.uk