Samba slower than FTP?

Chris Watt cnww at hfx.andara.com
Tue Sep 7 16:00:37 GMT 1999

At 08:57 PM 9/7/99 +1000, Nick Dobrovolski wrote:
>Hello gurus,
--- SNIP ---
>faster than copy via samba share. Can you provide me with any helpful
>advices on tuning samba server in order to speed the things up?

I'm not exactly a Guru, but afaik the only serious tweaking you can do is:

- Enable and use WINS to avoid all that nasty broadcast traffic
- Set your socket options to the reccomended setting in the smb.conf man page.
- Read but largely ignore Speed.txt and Speed2.txt (some of the advice in
the latter file is genuinely harmful).
- Hope for the best.

On my LAN I tend to get around 2mb per second on get's and 3.x mb per
second on puts with Samba, this compares to about 2mb per second on gets
and 6mb per second on puts with FTP. All the machines involved are using
LinkSys Etherfast 10/100 cards connected to a LinkSys 10/100 hub.
Oddly enough when I connected a 10mbit/s client to the hub and tried samba
out I got about 750kb/s put and 900kb/s get. . . If anyone can explain this
I'm listening :)
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?