Force group ?

Alan Hourihane alanh at pinacl.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 10:01:42 GMT 1999

I have a number of users with home directories
under /home/????. Their default group is users.

I need to make some of these directories available
for other users, so I've created a group that's actually
the same as the users name of their home directory.

For example,

drwxrwx...	georgef  georgef  ......

Then, I add a bunch of users into that group in /etc/group.

georgef:500:x:georgef,paulw,ianp

etc,etc.

It works and people can get to his home directory, but....

When another user saves a file into georgef's directory
it gets created with georgef's primary group which is 'users'
and I don't want that.

I've tried using

force group = %u or %U

in the samba config, but thinking again that won't work.

Anyone any ideas ?

Alan.