Samba , dhcp, wins on Solaris 2.x

Chris Douty Chris_Douty at ampex.com
Thu Sep 2 21:17:42 GMT 1999

> I have a samba server running on solaris 2.5.1. On the same
machine there is
> a  ISC dhcpd server which is configured to supply all the tcp/ip
information
> to the NT Clients dynamically (ip, wins, domainname, dns, router etc.).
>
> So my NT Clients get only a name and are configured to get their
tcp/ip
> information from the dhcpd server.
>
> Now, everything runs fine browsing, NetBios name -> ip (wins,
nbns) from my
> clients.
>
> But how is the hostname -> ip resolving on the solaris machine done ?
> As all the ip's to my NT clients are supplied dynamically i can't
ping by
> name from my solaris server to a NT client.
>
> Can this (wins) be configured in the nsswitch.conf ?
>
> I this possible at all ?

Ha!  Another NeXT user!

Solaris has no knowledge of WINS.  There may be some linux projects
to add WINS resolving to their name system.

Is the relationship between IP address and FQDN(hostname) constant?
If it is then all you need to do is put that information in your dns
server.  All that dhcp is doing there is supplying that information
to a PC, basically making the IP address to MAC address link.

Unfortunately it sounds like your PCs have constant names and
varying IP addresses.  The only solution I know of there is Dynamic
DNS.  I believe that the latest versions of dhcpd and bind can talk
to each other using DDNS.  That way, every time a lease is granted
the incore DNS database is also updated.  Client result caching of
DNS queries presents a problem, so you probably need to set TTL
pretty low for any dynamic zones.

Perhaps I am speaking from ignorance here and someone hasa much
better solution or knows the flaws in mine...

	-Chris

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty at ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Software Support Engineer - AMPEX Corporation