Installation test fails: 2.04b

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 1 16:32:11 GMT 1999

  I'm brand new to Samba and I am trying to set in up on our network (linux
OS). We have two windows clients: a notebook running win95 (soon to be
win98) and a virtual machine running win98. Right now, the host is running
RH 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel.

  Samba-2.04b was installed from the rpm. I'm using Carter and Sharpe's
"Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" as my guide. On page 59, they suggest
testing the installation to see if the shares defined in /etc/smb.conf are
correct. Here is what I run and the results returned:

[root at salmo rshepard]# /usr/bin/smbclient -L salmo -N
Added interface ip=192.168.55.1 bcast=192.168.55.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

  The win98 virtual machine is not running; makes no difference if it does.
I understand the words in the error message but I don't know what to do
about it.

  Can someone here please give me a nudge in the right direction?

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com