SAMBA digest 2289

Jon Earle jsearle at home.com
Sat Oct 30 22:38:42 GMT 1999

I also set up samba 2.0.5a (binaries from Skunkware) on a SCO 5.0.5
server.  I have a conf file, but it's on my laptop, and that's downstairs,
and I'm about to get ready to leave, so I'll dig it up later.  :)  From
what I remember though, all I changed was:

- the workgroup name,
- turned off browse master
- turned off the printing system
- set the guest user to 'nouser'
- used sharelevel security vs userlevel
- turned off (commented out) the default shares in the conf file
- copied the /tmp share sample, and changed the path and sharename to
reflect the dir I needed shared.

This is wholly insecure, but it works, is fast, and as this is a tiny
network, disconnected from the Net, with only a small handful of people
accessing the smb shares in this fashion (the others access the sco server
via terminals), it makes sense to run samba in as simple a configuration as
possible.

If you still need a conf file, I'll dig it up for you.

Cheers!
Jon

>Does anybody have a working smb.conf for Samba 2.0.5a that I could look
>at?
>
>Currently I'm using Samba binaries that came from the SCO Skunkware web
>site, so its possible that there might be a problem with them, I
>suppose. I intend building a set of binaries for myself, but any other
>hints would be gratefully appreciated.

---
Jon Earle

"You can never burn out as long as you're doing what you enjoy.  When it
stops being fun, then you burn out.  And I'm still having fun."

"...plot proceeds from character...it's from defining who the character is,
what he wants, how far he's willing to go to get it, and how far someone
else will go to stop him.  From that comes all the rest."

                      -- J. Michael Straczynski, creator Babylon 5