SMBMount and backup application

Nate Keegan nkeegan at ci.prescott.az.us
Fri Oct 29 17:34:00 GMT 1999

I would like some advice. I am considering the best way to restructure my
backup scheme on my NT network. I would like to see if it would be
possible/feasible to use cron, smbmount, some SCSI tape drives, and some type
of archive tool to backup my NT shares to a RedHat box using Samba. What do
all of you do out there? I would envision a situation where each night a
script is run by cron that runs a backup on specific shares. How do all of
you do your backups? Is this a realistic scenario or am I missing some
critical point about it? I would like to avoid having to use our NT/Seagate
backup solution because it is neither simple to use or reliable in its
results. Is this pie in the sky or does this sound half-way plausible?

Any insight would be most appreciated

Nate Keegan
City of Prescott
Information Technology