Samba on Solaris 2.5.1?

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Thu Oct 28 23:26:55 GMT 1999

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Frank R. Brown wrote:

> Does anyone have Samba working on Solaris 2.5.1?

Yes.

> I have Samba 2.0.0 running successfully on Solaris 2.6,
> but have failed in repeated attempts to get Samba running
> on Solaris 2.5.1.  Basic symptom:  I can get the daemon
> running, but can't connect to any shares, *and* can't use
> smbpasswd to 'add' new user id's (smbpasswd just hangs).
>
> Any advice?

Try something more recent than 2.0.0? Not that I know of any bugs in
2.0.0 (but if that version was perfect why release anything after it :)

What do you connect from? If NT4SP3+ you need encrypted passwords or tell
the NT to use unencrypted. Well, you are of course using smbclient to test
from localhost, so that can't be it.

I believe someone mentioned some problems with copying one installation
from one machine to another. Something to do with the SHARE_MEM_FILE in
/usr/local/samba/var/locks/  ?

Are you trying to run a 2.6 binary on the 2.5.1? Don't know if/why that
would cause problems but I guess it could ...

Sorry, that's the best my tired brain is capable of right now.

/Urban