Strange files on client after new share is created

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 28 18:01:23 GMT 1999

Sounds like your share isn't pointing to what you think it is. Have you run
testparm? Re check the share in smb.conf. And definitely restart Samba so
any changes take effect.

Steve Litt

At 01:31 AM 10/29/1999 +1000, Christine Wells wrote:
>I created a new share on Samba 2.0.3.  I ran smbclient -N -L <hostname>
and saw the files were being shared out.  I did not restart the samba
processes on the host.

>When I went to my client ( that has correct access to the share and has
other shares currently mapped from that host ) and ran net use r:
\\hostname\share from DOS, I could not see any of the files on that share
but saw some other files that were not on the share.  Those files were called

>ps_data
>psb_front_socket
>psb_back_socket
>ws_log
>sh19709.1
>sh19884.1
>
>I could not open them from the client
>
>I started researching and could not find anything and went to check again
and the files were gone and the correct shared files were there.  I am not
quiet sure what they were but it almost looked like some kind of temporary
stuff is given to the client until the NT PDC or samba ..... catches up???

>Please let me know if any of you have encountered this or if you know what
going on behind the scenes.  We run samba on 5 hosts in an NT controlled
domain and I have never seen this before.