Problems with 3Com 3c905b

Johann Zuschlag jozuschlag at online.de
Sat Oct 23 18:36:54 GMT 1999

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:36:15 +0200, thomas at bleyonline.de wrote:

>Hi,
>
>At first: Thanks for your help
>
>I have problems with samba 2.0.5a amd my 3com 3c905b in 100 mbit mode:
>writing performance: about 7,5 MB/s (ide hdd !!)
>reading performance: about 0,2 MB/s (I can't explain !!)
>
>My System Suse 6.1, Network:
>Protocol: TCP/IP without dhcp, wins
>100 mbit/s and full duplex,
>2 Machines (Connected with Crossover cable=>High speed!)

Try to switch off full dublex. And switch off Auto-neg and set the NIC's to 100Mb.
But still it can be troublesome.
Since you are not using a Hub/switch this can be the cause for plenty of problems.
A crossover cable is not the same as a hub!
I had to switch to coax cable for a 2 machine setup. Didn't work properly even with a 10Mbit Network.
Couldn't login sometimes, etc. With a hub I never had any problems.

Better get a cheap 100Mb Hub.

Hope this helps.

Johann

Johann Zuschlag