2.0.5 smbmount chokes on chars needing shell-escape

Mark histed at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 22 01:19:12 GMT 1999

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find reference to it
anywhere.

Various windows versions allow characters in share names like " " and ")"
(space, close paren) that need to be escaped when passed to the shell.

However, it seems like the 2.0.5 smbmount calls smbmnt via the shell, and so
if you try to do something like:
smbmount "//smbserver/sharename with funny chars(likethis)" mountpoint
you get an error from the shell pointing out that it doesn't like the invalid
characters.  Double escaping those characters also doesn't work, smbmount
doesn't like things like smbmount "//server/share\ name".

So my question: under Linux is it possible to mount Samba shares that contain
characters that need to be escaped when passed to the shell?

Copy replies to me, please, I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
Mark