Corrupted Excel files, oplock_break(905) errors
Mark E. Drummond
drummond-m at rmc.ca
Thu Oct 21 18:48:41 GMT 1999
Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Could you try downloading the 2.0.6-pre3 snapshot and testing
> to see if it fixes the problem. We have done extensive work
> in this area on this issue.
While this is a possible solution for us, I am disinclined to move to a
pre, especially since my second file server is running the same setup
without any problems. I have compared the two and their setups differ
only in irrelevant areas like logging level.
That said, the data I have for all the problems that cropped up this
morning I think is useless. I have been seeing these oplocks problems,
but also other unexplainable behaviour like smbd processes going to
sleep and staying that way even though the client is trying to do stuff.
I turned oplocks off, and my clients are still snookered. They just
can't get at their network shares. However, in many cases, they will get
on, and be fine for a few minutes, then things lock up again.
I have upped the log level on the server, snooped net traffic and
trussed running smbd processes, all to no avail. When the client is
"locked up", I have found there to be 0 net traffic and the related smbd
sleeping!! I'm lost ... Some pointers on where to look next would be
FYI, I _just_ upgraded to 2.0.5a from 2.0.4 in an effort to relieve the
oplocks issue, but my second server has been running 2.0.5a for many
months without issue.
More information about the samba