Questions on smbclient messaging

kenneth topp caught at prodigy.net
Wed Oct 20 15:58:10 GMT 1999

Steve,

Here's a fun way:

in smb.conf add:

message command = /usr/local/bin/popup %f %m %s; rm %s

where  /usr/local/bin/popup contains:

#!/bin/sh
XAUTHORITY=/var/gdm/:0.Xauth /bin/echo Message from $1 on $2 \
 	| /bin/cat - $3 | /usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage -display :0 -file -

now note that either:
  1) /var/gdm/:0.Xauth is world readable (command runs as daemon)
  2) you've run: xhost +`hostname`
  3) Somehow popup is running as root (and can read /var/gdm/:0.Xauth)

I use choice 2 out of laziness.  The XAUTHORITY variable is set only makes
sense if your server uses it (run: "ps auxww | grep X" and check for
"-auth" command line parameters).  Also note,  "message command" contained
a security bug in versions prior to 2.0.5a so NOBODY USE THIS IN OLDER
VERSIONS.

Also it's good to note I put the "rm" in the smb.conf so when you test
popup you don't accidentely delete /etc/hosts....

Kenneth