SMB service can't be used across Routers?

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Wed Oct 20 06:02:03 GMT 1999

> In the latest SMB-HOWTO doc,I see the following words: SMB services
> cannot be used across routers. If you want to do something like
> that, you would need to set up an IP tunnel ...  Is that true?

no, it's NOT true. The maintainer is CCd.

For a start, the doc doesn't even say what "SMB services" it is
referring to. I presume it is host browsing as that is the only one
that provides routing troubles.

For cross-subnet (ie. routed) browsing you should do the
following. There are other methods but they are much more complex are
error prone:

1) all computers that you want visible should use a single WINS server
   (Samba or NT can do this)

2) the master browser for each subnet must be either NT or
   Samba. (Win9X doesn't communicate cross-subnet browse info
   correctly)

3) You should use the same workgroup name on all subnets. This is not
   strictly necessary but it is the simplest way to guarantee
   success. If you can't arrange this then you must organise for a way
   for browse info to propogate between subnets. (It does *not* propogate
   via WINS). It propogates via two mechanisms:
i) each browse master notices workgroup announcements from other
   browse masters on the same broadcast domain
ii) each non-Win9X browse master contacts the global DMB for the
   workgroup (typically the domain controller or a Samba box marked as
   the domain master) and swaps full browse info periodically.

Cheers, Tridge