Win98 Password Stumbling Block (Resolution)

Allen Hubble AHubble at idirect.com
Wed Oct 20 03:48:24 GMT 1999

For those of you that have had/are having problems getting Win 98 clients to
correctly authenticate, I have identified a stumbling block which I had to
deal with.  Specifically, EnablePlainTextPassword *must* be a DWORD value.
In following the instructions found here,
http://us1.samba.org/listproc/samba/October1998/0321.html and on the
Microtheft web site, I installed the ptxt_on.inf file from the Win 98 CD.
This created a Registry Entry that was binary rather than DWORD.  Using
regedit, manually configure the key as DWORD with a value of 1 for Plain
Text passwords.

Hope this helps someone (as I was left to my own - but I'm not bitter).

... Al Hubble