problem with samba on irix 6.5

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Oct 19 19:59:10 GMT 1999

Bevan Broun wrote:

> I have a problem with samba 2.05a on my irix-6.5 box. Now I know this
> must be a user problem because I have run samba on this machine before.
>
> Samba compiles and runs fine and I have tried the precompiled version
> too. I have /tmp shared out as [tmp] and get the following messages in
> log.smb when I try to connect to it using smbclient from the localhost

Ok, you used gcc to compile it let me guess ?

There is a problem with an out-of-the-box gcc compile as
the gcc structure passing conventions are incorrect for
making IRIX system calls.

Unfortunately the semctl system call takes a *structure*,
not a pointer to structure as an argument (POSIX braindamage :-).

You can get around this by tweaking the config.h file after
the configure process to tell it not to use SYSV shared
memory, but use mmap instead.

Or you can just download the pre-built binaries that Herb
Lewis here at SGI (another Samba Team member) builds, as
he builds them with the system compiler.

Check the samba.org ftp site for Herb's binaries.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.