How to restart Samba conveniently

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 19 19:49:07 GMT 1999

Hi everyone -- thanks for the help

I've found the method to retrofit Red Hat's /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb to the new
directory structure. First a copy of /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb must be obtained
from a default Red Hat installation. In addition, your setup must have file
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, which is a set of utility shellscript routines.
Each of these two files requires exactly one line change:

*** /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb ***

There's a line that checks for the existence of smb.conf and exits if not:
[ -f /etc/smb.conf ] || exit 0

That line must be changed to the new location:
[ -f /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf ] || exit 0

*** /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ***

Near the top there's a line that exports a default path:
export PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin"

To that line must be appended the Samba binary directory:
export
PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/samba/bin"

Once these two changes have been accomplished, the following commands
reliably start, stop and restart Samba:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

Your mileage may vary. Please let me know if it does.

There are similar shellscripts in Caldera and Debian default Samba setups,
so they probably can be similarly retrofitted.

Thanks

Steve Litt