samba setup.exe rant part 2

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Oct 19 19:12:46 GMT 1999

Stephen Waters wrote:

> on SAMBA 2.0.5a, i can get none of the aforementioned files to install
> from directories w/ Long File Names.
>
> a good example of the situation is the HP JetAdmin for NT installer
> which can be downloaded here:
> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hpjetadmin1876.html
>
> hp used Winzip to create the 16-bit self-extractor.
>
> on our NT4 box, double-clicking here properly pops up the Winzip
> extraction window:
> \\winnt\public\printer_drivers\winnt\hpjanten.exe
>
> on our SAMBA 2.0.5a box, double-clicking here:
> \\roma\public\printer_drivers\winnt\hpjanten.exe
> produces this error: Title Bar says, "Can't run 16-bit Windows program",
> Error Message, "Cannot find file \\Roma\Public\\winnt\hpjanten.exe (or
> one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are
> correct and that all required libraries are available."

Can you check to see you don't have the line

"nt smb support = no"

in your smb.conf.

> what has pissed me off last time i posted this is not that samba did not
> support this feature nor that there is a simple workaround (rename the
> directory), but that unnamed individuals simply dismissed the issue as
> shoddy 16-bit installware and implied i was either crazy or stupid
> because it did not in fact work from an NT server when clearly and
> repeatedly it works like a charm.

No, I knew about this problem (it was a FQ for a while, it's
never been dismissed, at least not by the Samba Team :-).
I specifically tested this feature for the initial 2.0.x
release, it's one of the things that should be fixed with
using NT SMB support.

If you don't have the above line then can you please send
me either a tcpdump capture of the attempt to run this app,
or a debug level 10 smbd log of the attempt please.

This *definately* should work in Samba.

Thanks,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.