mounting a windows zip drive

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Tue Oct 19 17:21:34 GMT 1999

> Mark Peoples wrote:
>
> Hello,
>  I have a Zip drive on my Windows machine, shared to the network.  I
> can get to the drive through smbclient, but would like to mount it to
> my main Linux box to do backups.
>
>  The Zip drive is known as  \\mark\d to the network, and I would like
> to mount it to  /mnt/zip
>
>  However, smbmount is not able to mount it, nor am I able to mount it
> via smbclient.
>
>  Anyone have this already working?  And what syntax are you using to
> do this?

I had my zip drive shared, before the click of death, and it worked
well.

The information missing from your question is what version of samba are
you using.  The syntax changed a bit going from 1.9.x to 2.0.x, and
again it changed going from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5.

In 2.0.5, it's just "smbmount //mark/d /mnt/zip", assuming you have
mount privileges to /mnt/zip.  The current smbmount has been rewritten
by Tridgell, and it's still a work in progress, but it is useable.  Not
sure if it matters in Windows (vs. NT) but do you also need to use
user/password when mounting your Windows drives via samba?

Also, and I hesitate to ask, but....you *are* putting a disk in the
drive before you mount it, right?
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis