Guest user when mapping drives

JohnSHolmes johnsh at co.skagit.wa.us
Mon Oct 18 15:00:44 GMT 1999

I have Samba 2.0.4b running on HP-UX 10.20.

If I have an automatic drive mapping occur in NT or Win95 to one of my Samba
shares, then the user is authenticated as the guest user. If I don't have an
automatic drive mapped, then the user is authenticated as their actual
username when navigating to the share in Explorer. The users all have Unix
accounts and the authentication is occurring on an NT domain controller. The
NT domain controller is identified as the WINS server and WINS support = no.

If I remove the guest account on the HP-UX server, then with the automatic
drive mapping the user does get authenticated as themself and the following
message shows up in the log file: "Username guest is invalid on this system"

I created the guest user because in one of the Samba doc files it said you'd
have problems if you didn't have a guest user, but I don't understand why
this is occurring. Any ideas would help.

Thanks,

John Holmes
Skagit County Information Services
Phone: 360-336-9370   Fax: 360-336-9308