9 character passwords do not seem to work

Peter J. Holzer hjp at wsr.ac.at
Mon Oct 18 08:30:20 GMT 1999

On 1999-10-16 00:26:59 +1000, Paul L. Lussier wrote:
> In a message dated: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:47:25 +1000
> Andrew Welham said:
>
> >We have sambe 2.0.0 we cant use 2.0.4b(clearcase problem with this
> >version) on hpux 10.20 a user changed their password from a 8
> >character password to a 9 character password. They now can not use
> >theie samba share unless they only type the first 8 letters of the 9
> >letter password
>
> Yeah, change the password back to 8 characters.  Unix will only recognize the
> first 8 unique characters of a password.  So, technically, 'password1' and
, 'password2' would both be interpreted as 'password'.

Yes, but in Andrew's case the extra characters are not ignored, so this
obviously isn't the standard Unix crypt.

> I'm not positive this is also true for HP-UX,

If you have a HP-UX "trusted system", you can use passwords longer than
8 characters. Unfortunately, HP didn't change crypt to handle them
transparently, the applications have to know how to handle longer
passwords. I don't know if samba does this (although I seem to remember
that configure checks for it).

First thing I would do is check that the user really has a 9 character
password: Find the password entry (there is one file per user somewhere
under /tcb). If the encrypted password is 13 characters long, the
password has at most 8 characters, if it is 24 characters, it has 9 to
16 characters, etc.).

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth