When viewed on NT4.0 file sizes of samba share are incorrecly too large

Ken Eliezer ken.eliezer at isearch.com
Sun Oct 17 23:23:40 GMT 1999

Hi everyone,

Here is my problem:

All NT4.0 machines accessing a samba share located on a Solaris 2.6 server
(running smbd version
2.0.4b) see the file sizes to be MUCH (terabytes) larger than they actually
are. This is true
both when looking through Explorer (file manager) and through MS-DOS prompt.

On Windows98 machines the files are irrationally large via Explorer, but are
the correct size
when looked at (via "dir") from the MS-DOS prompt.

On Windows95 (I only have one Windows95 machine) everything is fine from
Explorer and MS-DOS.

The extra info. is that I have another smbd version 2.0.4b server running
Solaris 2.5.1
and a Solaris 2.6 server running smbd version 1.9.18p8.
All clients see files from these servers correctly, even when I create a
share that is an NFS
mount from the original server.

Here is an example to show this more clearly.
ServerA is the Solaris 2.6 machine running smbd 2.0.4b sharing /kenA
ServerB is the Solaris 2.5.1 machine running smbd 2.0.4b mounting
SeverA:/kenA to /kenB and sharing /kenB
ServerC is the Solaris 2.6 machine running smbd 1.9.18p8 mounting
SeverA:/kenA to /kenC and sharing /kenC

When a client maps to any share on ServerA (including ServerA:/kenA) the
file sizes are
incorrect (as explained above).
When a client maps any share from the other servers (including ServerB:/kenB
or ServerC:/kenC
which are really ServerA's /kenA directory) everything is normal.

I am new to this environment and do not know if things have always been like
this or if something
has happened to cause this odd behavior.

The real problem is that an application on an NT client using ServerA:/kenA
is crashing and I think
it's because it sees the file sizes as being outrageously large and cannot
deal with that.

I appreciate any input and thank you in advance,

Ken Eliezer
UNIX Sys. Admin.
Interactive Search
email: ken.eliezer at isearch.com