Samba-based password synchronization

Lars Kneschke computer at kneschke.de
Sat Oct 16 18:02:58 GMT 1999

> This is request for help message number 2.   I have a hpux 10.20 machine
> that is NOT TRUSTED that is there are passwords in the /etc/password file.
> I'm trying to authenticate winnt 4.0 and win95 clients to this server.  I
> have added the following parameters to my smb.conf file:
>
> encrypt passwords = yes
> smb passwd file  = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
>
> I have created the smbpasswd using the command cat /etc/passwd |
> mksmbpasswd.sh > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.
This takes only the users from /etc/passwd and put this users in
/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd. It can't create passwords from
/etc/passwd, because you can't get uncrypted passwords from the
encrypted one.

> >From what I understand once this smbpasswd file has been created and samba
> has been restarted (inetd -c for me) windows users can change their
> passwords and the smbpasswd file is updated.  The question is HOW DO I GET
> PASSWORDS INTO THE SMBPASSWD FILE?  I would rather have the users set and
> control their passwords and I would prefer the users not have to log into
> the unix machine and create there password using the smbpasswd command.  Is
> it necessary for the users to use the smbpasswd command to first set their
> passwords on the hpux 10.20 box?   And how can the users change their
> passwords from the windows95 and winnt side?
Because there are now passwords set in
/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd you can't change them from Win*.

You must the password once with smbpasswd. After that the Win*-Users can
change their passwords from the systemcontrol. Maybe you must change
"passwd chat". If the users log in with clear passwords from the
Win*-Clients you can also use "update encrypted", the create smbpasswd
from the cleartext passwords.

Cu
--

Do you like Samba?