NT printing problem

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Oct 16 17:40:09 GMT 1999

First step is to tell [deskjet] what print queue (from /etc/printcap) it's
using. If that doesn't help see if you can print to that queue from the
command line using lpr or whatever your system uses. Once you can, try this
command:

echo "^MHello World^L" | smbclient "//mainserv/lp_text" -Ubogususer%bogus
-c "put - f"

That should print out Hello World in the upper left of a page, and formfeed
it. If not, troubleshoot. Install your own print command= as a test point.

Remember you make the control characters with Ctrl-V Ctrl-L, etc. Once you
can print from smbclient, do this from the Wijndows command line:

echo Hello World^L > \\servername\deskjet

Once you get that to work, attach a Windows printer to the share.

Steve Litt