Shared Memory and Semaphore Errors

Eric Songer esonger at lads.is.lmco.com
Thu Oct 14 23:25:45 GMT 1999

Hello,

	I am fighting an error I get when I try to compile Samba in IRIX.  While
checking the archives I noticed references to the same errors I was
getting.  In the last two weeks I have seen the error appear twice on two
more OS'es; AIX and Digital Unix, and now today someone is having the same
error on a DG/UX box:

[1999/10/07 11:49:44, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_open(597)
ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
[1999/10/07 11:49:44, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes

	The answer I received was to use ipcs to find a corrupted memory segment
then use ipcrm to remove the segment or semaphore.  This hasn't solved my
problem.  Every time the unix box gets rebooted, I get the same shared
memory segments reappearing.  I saw "The Man" respond to one of these
errors, suggesting that the problem was fixed at 2.06.
	I am missing some fundamental piece of information here.  Would someone
please give me a explanation of shared memory segments that may explain
what is happening?  Or point me to someplace that has a good explanation.
And last, but not least, will 2.06 fix this problem?

Thanks,

Eric Songer
Staff Software Engineer
Lockheed Martin