Migration into NT

David Hazelton dave.hazelton at sanmina.com
Mon Oct 11 17:12:53 GMT 1999

First, My NT is at best weak when it comes to PDC and BDC
concepts.

I have a LAN and WAN Enviroment and the two are about to crash.

Current version: SAMBA 2.04b

For 2+ Years I have been running SAMBA on a SPARC 1000E
(Solaris 2.5.1)  as a PDC,  We have about 10 shares, some are
public and everyone needs to see them and some by user and some
by groups.  Security = user and authetecation is encryptic.
(smbpasswd). The clients are all W95 and W98 machines.

OLD:
(SMBPDC)--------(PC)

Corporate decide to standardize on NT and has set up a Corp PDC
for authentication and a East PDC for the Domain.

Corporate has done no reseach in they implentation on how to
migrate each locations current Fileservers to NT.  Most have a
version of Novell.  This Location and another have SAMBA (The other
is Version 1.9.XX I believe, I will need to deal with that on too)

What I need is a easy way to move my Users to the Corp PDC while
I keep the users/Files on SAMBA until I can slowly migrate them
over.

Now
(NTCORPPDC)-----(NTEASTPDC)
(SMBPDC)----(PC)

Corporate wants to only add 10 users a day, but what I read is that it
is a all or nothing for Domain Logins.  If a person is can not login to
the PDC does it comeback to the SAMBA Box for authenication, or
can it?

I know the way W95 is that If both Passwords are the same between
Domains I will have access to both when I try to connect to a
resource on the other.  This maybe a workaround, but having Samba
and NT sync passwords, this sounds messy.

And if I do Domain logins what needs to be done on the NT side?
The Samba box will then join the EAST domain.

If I confused anybody, Join the Club : )

Thanks