Continuing IRIX Samba problems.

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Thu Oct 7 17:25:05 GMT 1999

Eric Songer wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I ditched trying to compile Samba and went out and got the binaries at the
> SGI freeware site.  That solved one problem, now I am mired in WINS and/or
> NetBIOS problems.  I stepped through DIAGNOSIS.txt, and when I get to test
> 8. I get the "Network Name Not Found" error.  Fine.  So I checked the
> log.nmb at log level 3 to see what the heck is going on, and here is what I
> found (I left out the IP addresses for whatever nebulous paranoid reasons):

First of all I have been very remis in updating the SGI freeware site
version of samba, I believe it is still at 1.9.18p10. I would suggest
you get a copy from the samba mirrors or from

http://reality.sgi.com/samba

These are versions 2.0.5a that I compiled and packaged.

What are the settings in your smb.conf concerning wins? Are you using
samba as the WINS server or are you pointing to an NT WINS server?
Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177