Browse problem on Solaris 2.5.1

Niek Bergboer niek at tursiops.student.utwente.nl
Tue Nov 30 14:07:53 GMT 1999

Is there a known browsing problem for Samba 2.0.6 under Solaris 2.5.1?
Situation: An Ultra-10 running Solaris 2.5.1 is logon server for a number of win98-clients on a single subnet and runs Samba 2.0.6. Everything works fine, except browsing. The server becomes local- and domain masterbroser, enforces an election and succesfully becomes master.

The problem is that nobody but admin users get a browse list from the server:

smbclient -L server

shows only the shares but no computers in the workgroup or list of workgroups.

smbclient -L server -U MrUser

also shows only the shares. (MrUser is a normal non-guest user). While

smbclient -L server -U MrSuperman

(where MrSuperman is an admin user) shows the shares and all the computers in the workgroup and all the workgroups (the normal behaviour)

Excerpt from smb.conf:

[global]
  local master = yes
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  os level = 65
  guest user = nobody
  interfaces = <OURNET>/<OURNETMASK> 127.0.0.1/8
  hosts allow = <SOME HOSTS> 127.
  workgroup = research

A nearly equivalent setup on a Linux-box works just perfectly. Also, changing guest user  into any other normal user account does not work?

Any suggestions?

Niek Bergboer
n.h.bergboer at student.utwente.nl

--
"but the Question I would like to know is the Ultimate Question of Life,
the Universe and Everything. All we know is that the Answer is