W98 -> Samba/Linux LPD -> Axis printserver

Edward Schernau ed at schernau.com
Tue Nov 30 04:35:31 GMT 1999

Win98 print jobs are getting "stuck"  on the samba server.

I have set up the auto print/install thing in Samba for the 98 boxes,
and it works.

I have the path for the printer in smb.conf defined as /var/spool/samba.
It has printable=yes, writeable=no set.  /var/spool/samba is RWXRWXRWXT.

Clients can print to \\linux\copier, but I'll get files named like:
PrinterTestPage, sitting in the spool directory.  Using "lpr -Pcopier
<file>"
they print out, and indeed are Win98 test pages.

The printer is set in /etc/printcap to use that same dir for spool as
well,
and my print command is "lpr -r -P%p %s".  Although the Samba in 24 hour
books claims that %s is both the whole path+ file name , AND just the
file name of the print file.

So what obvious, stupid thing am I missing?  Thanks!

Ed
--
Edward Schernau				http://www.schernau.com
Network Architect			mailto:ed at schernau.com
Rational Computing			Providence, RI, USA