Samba & Dial in Connection

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 29 17:14:35 GMT 1999

Stephen Lavelle wrote:

> I have set up a dial-in connection to a server (via ppp) and can
> successfully log in to a command prompt using terminal/hyperterminal on a
> win98 box. What steps do i need to take to allow explorer browsing of
> directories via samba?
> (RH6.0 Samba as shipped with this distribution, Samba is working fine on
> local network)

It's pretty easy.  Make sure you have the Samba machine as the WINS
server in smb.conf:

os level = 65
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes

works well for me.

Set up the Workgroup for the dialin machine to be the same workgroup as
the local network.  (Folks, is there a good way to get around this?)

The following is Win95 stuff that should be the same on Win98:

Make sure Client for MS Networks is bound to the dialout device.  It's
also best not to have other protocols besides TCP/IP set up for the
dialup connection, unless you need them.

(Scratches head).

Really can't think of anything else you have to do.  I *think* you have
to set WINS enabled on your network settings for the Win98 machine.  I'm
not quite sure about that.  I'd be interested to know what you find out.

HTH.