Getting a "Incorrect Parameter" error on Win98 from the Samba Logon.

Paul Haigh paul at nailed.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 22:51:57 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I've got a very serious problem here, where nobody can logon to my new
(fresh) v6.1 installation of RedHat from their Win98 workstations.

When trying to logon from the Win98 machines we get a dialog box coming
up with the title Microsoft Networking and the text: 'Incorrect
Parameter'.

Looking at the samba logs on the Linux box, I can see in the log.nmb
file the following lines:

[1999/11/28 22:26:41, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(69)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.20: code = 0
[1999/11/28 22:26:41, 3]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(86)
  process_logon_packet: Domain login request from DOUGALL at IP
192.168.1.20 use
r=PAUL token=ffff
[1999/11/28 22:26:49, 3]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_host_announce(117)
  process_host_announce: from DOUGALL<00> IP 192.168.1.20 to MAGIC<1d>
for serve
r DOUGALL.
[1999/11/28 22:26:49, 3] nmbd/nmbd_serverlistdb.c:write_browse_list(457)

  write_browse_list: Wrote browse list into file
/var/lock/samba/browse.dat
[1999/11/28 22:27:49, 3]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_host_announce(117)
  process_host_announce: from DOUGALL<00> IP 192.168.1.20 to MAGIC<1d>
for serve
r DOUGALL.

This is with debugging set to 3.

I've no idea where to look, since obviously Samba is providing something
dodgy to Win98, but this was working earlier today!  (grrr).

It doesn't matter what user/password you type, you get the same error,
which points me to an error in NMBD rather than SMBD, but I'm buggered
if I can work it out.

I tried all of the steps in the DIAGNOSTICS.TXT file, and I they all
worked except for STEP 8 onwards.  The help here is: 'fixup the nmbd
installation'.  Ok, how?

Can anyone give me some clues of where to look?

Please reply to me in the CC header as well, since I'm not subscribed to
the list.

Cheers,

Paul.